In partnership with the Braddock Carnegie Library and the Carnegie Free Library of Swissvale, C.C. Mellor Memorial Library (CCM) is seeking an enthusiastic team player as part of our Youth Services Department. This position will expand our outreach programs in the Woodland Hills School District. The position has a set 40-hour-a-week schedule, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., with the flexibility for occasional availability on nights and weekends, depending upon programming, required.
· Schedule and conduct regular classroom visits with students grades pre-K through 12
· Collaborate with library staff and school teachers and librarians to create outreach programming for students grades 4-12
· Maintain regular statistics and records of visits
· Budget and order materials for outreach and programming
· Create and facilitate programming during school breaks at all three public libraries
· Collaborate with library staff to create and promote summer reading programming
· Create lists of book suggestions and read-alikes for students and teachers to use in classroom and leisure reading selection
• Bachelors degree
• Professional experience working with children of a variety of ages
• A valid drivers’ license and access to a vehicle to reach all sites
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; confidence and comfort with public speaking to groups of students
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to set and maintain schedule across multiple locations
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with library and school staff
• Share our libraries’ goals of education, literacy, and community empowerment
• PA State Criminal Background Check / PA Child Abuse Clearance / FBI Criminal Records Check
About the organization:
Established in 1917, C.C. Mellor Memorial Library provides library services from two locations to the residents of Edgewood, Forest Hills, Braddock Hills, Churchill and Wilkins Township. Our mission is to educate, entertain and enlighten our communities by providing state-of-the-art technology, programming, and library services.
We have partnered with the Braddock Carnegie Library Association and the Carnegie Free Library of Swissvale to provide outreach to the Woodland Hills School District. All three libraries are members of the Allegheny County Library Association and together serve the twelve municipalities that make up the Woodland Hills School District, a Title I District formed in 1981 and serving approximately 3,500 students.
The Outreach Library Assistant will provide regular classroom outreach to students in grades pre-K through 12 in the district to improve literacy skills and promote reading for fun. Examples of outreach visits will include classroom read-alouds and supporting activities, and the introduction of civic responsibilities through voting in the Picture Book Children’s Choice Awards, book talks to promote titles available in school libraries to 4-through-6th graders, presentation of library research resources with high school students, and assistance with college readiness skills and college searches. With the help of this grant-funded position, we plan to reach at least 80 percent of the school district’s students in their classrooms, creating and building positive relationships between students and their public libraries, which we hope will have lasting effects.
CCM provides PTO and retirement benefits to all employees. Pay range for this position is 10.00 – 14.00 dollars an hour.
How to apply:
Please send you resume and cover letter to Erin Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, Nov 24th.